Cops/Criminal Justice Reporter
The Tribune-Review/TribLIVE.com is seeking a seasoned reporter to cover the cops/criminal justice beat in the city of Pittsburgh. The successful candidate will be a curious and aggressive reporter who will own the crime and police coverage in the city and the region.
We are looking for an ambitious reporter who is adept at using digital reporting tools and knowledgeable about accessing public records. The candidate should be a self-starter who is comfortable in a crime scene and familiar with the workings of the criminal justice system.
The position is based in Pittsburgh.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Pitch and produce a variety of criminal justice content ranging from breaking news to long-term, in-depth enterprise stories.
- Learn the inner workings and hierarchy of the Pittsburgh Police Department, labor groups along with citizens advocacy/watchdog groups.
- Develop sources to help break news and add depth to coverage.
- Respond to and report from breaking crime scenes when necessary.
- Engage with readers on social media platforms and use digital and tools to identify story leads and sources.
- Utilize data skills and data resources to bring depth and clarity to the content produced.
- Work closely with colleagues to coordinate graphics, photos and videos.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field.
- 3-5 years of daily journalism experience.
- Experience in cops beat.
- Ability to write clearly and accurately on multiple platforms and on deadline.
- Strong command of grammar and AP style.
- Experience with investigative reporting methods including filing public records requests and searching databases.
- A competitive nature, collaborative spirit and passion for news.
Interested candidates should apply at www.tribtotalmedia.com/jobs. A cover letter and at least three samples of your work are required.
Trib Total Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.